Tourism in the area

At the bend of Champlitte

Champlitte is located 20 km from Gray, 30 of Langres and Dijon 54. Small peaceful town in tourist interest which overlooks the River Lounge. Implanted Oree of Burgundy and Champagne, it is built on a promontory 240 meters above sea level. To step Champlitte is exploring a rich town in testimony of the past. Chanitois have preserved the architecture and traditions.

Strolling through the streets and alleys of Champlitte, we find fountains, renaissance style houses, towers, facades decorated with statues and many other relics that captivate the visitor.

This is his castle of XVI-XVIII is famous in this town. Today, the city recorded in the community of common of the four rivers becoming more and more its tourist with its old stones, its three museums and traditions but also thanks to its vineyard celebrated with pomp at St. Vincent.

The castle and the County Museum of Arts and Popular Traditions.

Officially founded in 1957, the museum owes its creation to Demard family who collected all sorts of items of furniture during the rural exodus and the modernization of farms in the 50s. Ethnographic museum mainly devoted to peasant society to discover the evolution of the life of a village in the late eighteenth century until the 20s.

It also covers the period of the Enlightenment.

Through its 45 rooms of the castle, it is projected into the lifestyle farmer - home furnishings, food, folk medicine, school carnivals and festive - and traditional crafts - blacksmithing, watches, weaving, pottery, lace and pottery. We remember the story of the wolves, and find that smuggling of matches and alcohol.

Part of the museum evokes the history and traditional culture of the Totonac Indians of the region Jicaltepec, Mexico, where whole families of farmers and growers from Champlitte tried adventure in the middle of the nineteenth century.

It is also a testimony of the links forged between Veracruz and the department of Haute-Saône.

 

Museum of Vine and Presses

Installed in the Orangerie du Château has been arranged to discuss the tradition vineyard Chanitois by presenting , among other great Burgundy and Champagne presses.

1900 Museum Art and technology

This is Jean- Christophe Demard that returns the birth of this museum. He collected objects and vehicles from the early twentieth century. This museum takes us into a reconstituted with 2 street village, its artisan workshops (shoemaker, baker, wheelwright, shoemaker, blacksmith, boilermaker). It reflects the "new" trades of the early twentieth century, after the invention of the internal combustion engine with a fine collection of steam, garage with old cars, horse-drawn vehicles...

The church of St Christophe is another witness of the past. It was built from the stately chapel vaulted arches of the lords of Vergy (XV century). Remarkable for its belfry of the XV century, crowned with gargoyles, part of the former Collegiate (1439).

Winegrowers Champlitte streets contain many other historical sights, as a relic of the sixteenth century fortifications. The former Royal Hospital (1675), the Capuchin Convent... Let yourself be guided by the charm of this town.

Push your ride and discover a church of the eleventh century Champlitte City, a set Napoleon III Frette, crosses and statues of the XVI and XVII centuries Leffond. And a painting of Menissier the heart of the Church of the Neuvelle Champlitte. Enjoy the panoramic view of Margilley and linger at the Roman camp to Lausiane Montarlot the Champlitte.

See also in a radius of 3 at 12 Kilometres.

Courtesoult and Gatey. Fountain in the middle of the village, which is invested annually by the Christmas crib. Note the Roman road "Way of Caesar" and the ruins of the castle of Gatey.

Fouvent Saint Andoche is nestled in a green hill under Champot, pleasant walk. At the foot of the promontory escape the resurgence of Vannon several sources, one of which has been well restored in 2000. The stream of Vannon where the legend of Sainte Agathe sings, winds its way beneath the beautiful bridges Fouvent Lower, Upper and Fouvent Trécourt and ends up in the town under the bridge Trécourt. Notable sites : The Nammon, Statue of Sainte Agathe, Mont Champot, Stone Breakthrough.

Framont with wash fountain, built by the architect Jean- Claude Disqueux the early nineteenth century. It has been restored over the years 1994-1995. Between the laundry and room, you can install your picnic on a shaded lawn. Beyond the river, you will be amazed to find the "Fountain sick" which is a replica of the source of this fountain. See also the Château du XVIII, the view over the valley Salon, and two bridges which spans.

Larret is a small town built on a wooded plateau by side with an artificial lake, perfectly furnished for relaxing and picnicking.

Mount Candle Percey Grand offers good view under the watchful eye of his virgin. Each entry in the town greets you with a hassle. Make a stop at the church for its antique furniture and a stop at the edge of the pond built for fishing. Nearby, see the Grange Abbey Theuley.

 

The Vineyard Champlitte

This is the tenth century that we note the existence of the first vines around Champlitte.

In the thirteenth century, the vineyard is already large and is closed near religious houses.

In the nineteenth century, it had reached 60 ha for the sole territory of Champlitte.

In the year 1833, the vine becomes ill and many chanitois and inhabitants of the surrounding villages migrate to Mexico to "the promised land". They had a lot of disappointment, many fell ill and died (cf. Book of JC DEMARD).

In 1960 Albert DEMARD recipient of the brotherhood ST Vincent and the board members decided to replant the vineyard. 37 acres in black and white Pinot. In 1974, the municipality in turn followed suit and it is not less than 282 people who join the group chanitois wine.

Thus, planting 20 hectares are cultivated. In 1984, an additional 10 ha, which gives the wine a boost.

 

The feast of St Vincent

It has existed since 1612 and since then the tradition remains the same. Every year on January 22, the festival is a must for chanitois.

It is a religious and traditional ceremony, a lot of people invaded the village that day. This demonstration application and requires a large organization. The current officers are John Swallow, Receiver of the Brotherhood, and JC DEMARD, CEO. The Executive Board is composed of twenty members, all volunteers.

Condensed written by Claude BOLOT
Board member of the Brotherhood
St Vincent and member of ROTARY

 

Truffles in Haute-Saône and Champlitte

In 1889, a specialist Adolphe Chatin evaluates the harvest truffles Bougogne four tons worth 40,000 francs or 10 francs per kg. These truffles are consumed locally or are sent to canneries. The truffle is mainly located on the limestone slopes which were planted after the disappearance of the vine.

After 1918, the truffle goes into hiding. It is not established statistics, yet still harvest is abundant but wild.

From the 70s, truffle plantations coexist with mycorrhizae subjects.
In 1980 a syndicate of producer puts in place Champlitte, then in 1983 the company was born truffle. From the beginning, it sets up a plantation of one hectare. Species are mixed, there are oak, chestnut and pine. With the support of the Region of Franche Comté, the Regional Chamber of Agriculture, the Chamber of Agriculture of Haute-Saône and Agricultural High School Chaumont, follow this planting is taking place.

Currently, four acres are not yet in production, a decade is required to harvest the first "black diamond", so popular with fans.
Currently, the company has approximately seventy eight members spread throughout France.

Visit also :

 

 

Hotel-Restaurant HENRI IV - Siren : 507 457 950 - 15 Rue du bourg 70600 CHAMPLITTE - Tel. : +33(0)3 84 31 28 86

The 2-stars Hotel and Restaurant Henri IV Champlitte in Haute Saône welcomes you and offers comfortable hotel rooms, traditional cuisine, dinner show in the cabaret and the organization of events.